Monday, November 26, 2007

True to the heart or maybe 'Being Frank'

Shortly after Spirit of the Rock was aired we received an email from someone living in Fort McMurray that had heard the poem we narrated by Frank Pavlick, My Newfoundland Heart. The poem was found in the display cabinet at the Newfoundland Club in Fort Mac and we had no idea when it was written or if the author was still in Alberta...
We were thrilled to be able to share that poem with our viewers. And we were even more thrilled to find that Frank is in Alberta. He sent us this...

I Am A Newfoundlander

I was born a Newfoundlander,
And that's what I am today,
Born and raised a Newfoundlander, and,
That's what I'm gonna stay.

Other folks don't understand it,
Not showing off or acting smart,
But to be a Newfoundlander starts,
With have a happy Heart.

Newfoundlander is the secret,
Doesn't matter what your name,
Our whole Province is one family and,
As one, we feel the same.

We are friends and we are neighbours,
Like a well construction song,
Newfoundland and Newfoundlanders,
Go together and belong.

This old world is full of people,
Where their hearts are, I'm not sure,
But I am a Newfoundlander,
And will be ... FOREVER MORE.

And the poem that you can see in the Newfoundland Club display case that led us to this author of such wonderful sentiment for his home...

MY NEWFOUNDLAND HEART

They can take the Newfoundlander
From the place I got my start
But theres one thing they can never take
The Newfie in my heart

A little poem like this one helps
My heart to take a stand
Sure I'm in Fort Mac
But my hearts in Newfoundland.

No disrespect intended
For my home away from home
Its just my heart is still a Newf
No matter where I roam.

Sometimes its only once a day
Quite often it is more
My heart drifts back to Newfoundland
And thoughts of life before.

And so I hope the world at large
Will try to understand
Its fine here in Fort McMurray
But my hearts in Newfoundland.

Both poems were written by Frank Pavlick. Thanks for sharing Frank!




No comments: